by Patrick Chappatte, published in The International Herald Tribune on 05/16/2008)
Secondly,
Patrick Chapatte clearly wants to make his public aware and to
sensitise them to illegal film downloading, hence the speech bubble "I love your movies, I've pirated them all". He wants to denounce the
paradox between someone claiming being a film fanatic and still is
pirating films on the internet. Furthermore, the young boy says his
line out of excitement as if it was normal. The author of course
wants to ridicules this to prove his actions illegal and quite
stupid. Especially, during the context of a film festival, Chapatte
can has really chosen the best place to illustrate his drawing
because the Cannes Film Festival fully represents the whole
industry.
In
my opinion, I believe the document is well-designed and carefully
thought out because the current situation is relatable to anyone. He
choses the setting to be world famous which is a great way to branch
out to the public and send them his message. I find it thought
provoking, as of course no one wants to be scorned in the way the young man is being mocked. I
don't believe it's shocking or moving because after all it's quite a
simple illustration but at least people will come away reflecting on
their actions.
Concerning this burning issue, the UK government has issued a block to all websites leading to film pirating through national internet broadbands and carriers. In fact, when I go back their to visit my family, out of interest I search for streaming websites and I end up on a blocked page with a short message from the government restricting me from going any further.
Well done, Isabel!
ReplyDelete